50 years of ice creamDecember 14th, 2011 by Susan Reynard | Categories: food, industry, products, restaurants
With this festive season Häagen-Dazs celebrates its 50th year as the world’s first super-premium ice cream. What started off as a small business in 1961, with chocolate, coffee and vanilla ice cream sold in pint-sized containers in New York gourmet shops, has grown into a global phenomenon with the ice cream now sold in numerous retail outlets and more than 900 dedicated Häagen-Dazs Shops in 50 countries worldwide.
In 1961, Häagen-Dazs was introduced to the world by ice cream connoisseur and entrepreneur, Rueben Mattus. Fifteen years later, the first Häagen-DazsShop opened its doors and was an immediate hit with the public. This success prompted significant international expansion over the next six years and today the brand enjoys a worldwide customer base.
The year 2011 is the fifth anniversary of Häagen-Dazs’ arrival to South Africa. Today there are five dedicated Shops in Sandton City, Hyde Park Corner, OR Tambo International Airport, and the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town. Takeaway products are also sold in selected retailers nationwide.
Known for its superior quality, Häagen-Dazs ice cream uses only the finest, hand-selected ingredients, such as vanilla from Madagascar and chocolate from Belgium. The ingredients are gently blended together to minimise air in the mixture. This ensures the creamy, smooth, melt-in-your-mouth texture that the ice cream has become known for.
“This process has been developed and perfected over 50 years to give all our customers the decadent experience they have have come to expect with each scoop of Häagen-Dazs ice cream,” says Becky Opdyke, commercial director for Häagen-Dazs South Africa.
Innovation has also been a key ingredient in the Häagen-Dazssuccess story and some of the highlights over the years include:
- 1960s – Sales grow steadily. New flavours are introduced, including strawberry, which is brought to market after a six-year search for the perfect fruit
- 1984 – Häagen-Dazs launches in Japan via joint venture. Japanese line up for blocks to get their first taste of the ice cream
- 1986 – Häagen-Dazs launches an ice cream bar on Valentine’s Day especially for adult tastes
- 1992 – Häagen-Dazs modernises a gift-giving tradition with the launch of ice cream moon cakes in Hong Kong
- 1996 – Häagen-Dazs creates an innovative addition to their portfolio in Japan by pairing two popular products, ice cream and tea, together for the launch of Häagen-Dazs Green Tea ice cream
- 1998 – Häagen-Dazsintroduces the Dulce de Leche flavour, an Argentine taste treat
- 2004 – Häagen-Dazs Cream Crisps, an indulgent ice cream sandwich, is introduced in Europe
- 2006 – Häagen-Dazs launches in South Africa – lines form in Sandton City to try the newest ice cream to hit the market
- 2010 – Häagen-Dazs introduces its decadent Smoothies in South Africa
- 2011 – The first global advertising campaign for Häagen-Dazs arrives around the world – “Anticipated Like No Other”
Known for its quality, creativity and above all else, taste, Häagen-Dazs looks forward to welcoming you, family and friends into its stores this festive season to indulge in a selection of heavenly flavours. “South African summers are the perfect time to spoil yourself and others by enjoying a few scoops of irresistible Häagen-Dazs ice cream,” concludes Opdyke.